What is a good starter sentence?
Start with the chase. A good hook might also be a question or a claim—anything that will elicit an emotional response from a reader. Think about it this way: a good opening sentence is the thing you don’t think you can say, but you still want to say. Like, “This book will change your life.”
What are 6 ways to start a sentence?
Creative Sentence Structures
- Begin with a verb ending with -ing.
- Begin with a verb ending with -ed.
- Begin with a prepositional phrase.
- Begin with an adverb.
- Begin with an adjective.
- Begin with a phrase that tells when.
- Begin with a phrase that tells where.
- Begin with a sound word.
What makes a good opening?
Make them wonder what the heck is going on, and make them want to find out. This is especially effective in short or flash fiction, when it’s important to introduce the central conflict as soon as possible. But in all forms of fiction, long-form or short-form, getting into some conflict will get your reader on board.
What are good paragraph starters?
Paragraph Starters for Persuasive Essays
- In my opinion….
- I believe….
- I’m sure of…
- We all know….
- I know……
- I feel that….
- We all agree…
- While I agree…
How can I improve my sentences?
- Ensure the information within the sentence is clear.
- Make sure to use transitional words.
- Use care with subordinate clauses.
- Use active voice.
- Use active verbs.
- Follow grammar rules.
How can I start my essay?
Take a look at these common ways to start an essay:
- Share a shocking or amusing fact.
- Ask a question.
- Dramatize a scene.
- Kick it off with a quote.
- State your thesis directly.
- Pick the right tone for your essay.
- When you’re stuck, work backwards.